The Dutch Expert Committee on Occupational Safety (DECOS) focuses on health risks. Its work includes assessing substances to which employees are exposed at their respective workplaces in terms of the substances’ toxic properties and effects on health. Such work can lead to a recommended value for professional exposure based on health expertise or a proposal for the assigning of hazard categories to carcinogenic substances or substances that are toxic to reproduction.
The Committee has two subcommittees: the Subcommittee on the Classification of Carcinogenic Substances and the Subcommittee on the Classification of Substances Toxic to Reproduction.
This activity is a permanent part of the Healthy working conditions focus area.
- Prof. F.G.M. Russel, Professor of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Radboud University, Nijmegen, chairman
- Prof. P.J. Boogaard, Professor of Environmental Health and Human Biomonitoring, Wageningen University and Research Centre, and Toxicologist, Shell International BV, The Hague
- Prof. D.J.J. Heederik, Professor of Risk Assessment in Occupational Epidemiology, Institute for Risk Assessment Sciences, Utrecht University, Utrecht
- R. Houba, Occupational Hygienist, The Netherlands Expertise Centre for Occupational Respiratory Disorders, Utrecht
- Prof. H. van Loveren, Professor of Immunotoxicology, Maastricht University, Maastricht
- Prof. I.M.C.M. Rietjens, Professor of Toxicology, Wageningen University and Research Centre, Wageningen
- G.B.G.J. van Rooy, MD PhD, Occupational medicine specialist, Arbo Unie Expert Centre for Chemical Risk Management and Radboudumc Outpatient Clinic for Occupational Clinical Toxicology, Nijmegen
- Prof. R.A. Woutersen, Professor of Translational Toxicology, Wageningen University, Wageningen
- Prof. A.H. Piersma, Professor of Reproductive Toxicology, Utrecht University, Utrecht, and National Institute for Public Health and the Environment, Bilthoven, structurally consulted expert
- G. van Essen, Social and Economic Council, The Hague, observer
- H. Stigter, Inspectorate SZW, Ministry of Social Affairs and Employment, Utrecht, observer
- J.M. Rijnkels, The Hague, scientific secretary
- S.R. Vink, Health Council, The Hague, scientific secretary