4-Methoxyphenol - Evaluation of the carcinogenicity and genotoxicity
15 November 2011
At request of the Minister of Social Affairs and Employment, the Health Council of the Netherlands evaluates and judges the carcinogenic properties of substances to which workers are occupationally exposed. The evaluation is performed by the Subcommittee on the Classification of Carcinogenic Substances of the Dutch Expert Committee on Occupational Safety of the Health Council. In this report, the Committee evaluated 4-methoxyphenol. The compound is used, for instance as a stabilizer, and chemical intermediary for various products.
The Committee is of the opinion that the available data are insufficient to evaluate the carcinogenic properties of 4-methoxyphenol (category 3).
- R.A. Woutersen, Toxicologic Pathologist, TNO Quality of Life, Zeist; Professor of Translational Toxicology, Wageningen University and Research Centre, Wageningen, chairman
- J. Van Benthem, Genetic Toxicologist, National Health Institute for Public Health and the Environment, Bilthoven
- P.J. Boogaard, Toxicologist, SHELL International BV, The Hague
- G.J. Mulder, Emeritus Professor of Toxicology, Leiden University, Leiden
- Ms. M.J.M. Nivard, Molecular Biologist and Genetic Toxicologist, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden
- G.M.H. Swaen, Epidemiologist, Dow Benelux NV, Terneuzen
- E.J.J. van Zoelen, Professor of Cell Biology, Radboud University Nijmegen, Nijmegen
- J.M. Rijnkels, Health Council of the Netherlands, The Hague, scientific secretary
Health Council of the Netherlands. 4-Methoxyphenol; Evaluation of the carcinogenicity and genotoxicity. The Hague: Health Council of the Netherlands, 2011; publication no. 2011/28. ISBN 978-90-5549-864-2